The Different Types of Insulation You Need in Your Home

All Posts

Insulation is key to keeping your home warm in the cold months and cool in the hot months. On top of that, it can even help to keep your energy bills low – did you know that 35% of your home’s central heating will escape through your cavity walls, while 25% is lost through your roof? That is, if you don’t have sufficient installation installed in your home.

We’ve put together this short guide detailing the types of insulation you need in your home.

Cavity wall insulation

Cavity Wall Insulation

The majority of modern homes (and by that we mean most homes built after 1924) are built with two layers of brick that have a gap, or cavity, between them. The primary purpose of a cavity wall is to prevent moisture from the outside penetrating up the outer walls and into the inner rooms of your home.

However, while this cavity does reduce heat transmission compared to solid walls, heat can still escape from your home between this gap.

As such, cavity wall insulation is used. This is where insulation material (either foam, bead or mineral wool) is injected into the cavity from the outside of the wall in order to fill the gap. This insulation will then work to keep the cold out and the heat in.

Solid Wall Insulation

Whilst most modern homes are built with a cavity wall, if you live in an older home that was built before 1924, then chances are you’re more likely to have a solid wall. As the name suggests, this is where the walls of your home are built using a single, thick solid wall, rather than two walls with a cavity between them.

As there is no gap to be filled, there are two options for insulating solid walls – they can either be insulated from the inside or the outside, with inside wall insulation being the more common of the two.

In order to do this, rigid insulation boards are fitted to the interior of your external facing walls, or a stud wall is built and filled with insulation material (e.g. mineral wool fibre), then finished with plaster work to seal this in.

Loft Insulation

If you cast back your mind to your school days, you may remember your science teacher emphasising how hot air rises (not heat!). Well, keeping that in mind, it’s no surprise that your home loses approximately a quarter of its thermal energy through the roof.

In order to reduce this, loft insulation is used. This is where insulating material, commonly mineral wool or fibreglass, is placed across the surface area of your loft and covered with loft boarding, allowing it to work at its optimum performance whilst still providing you with storage space.

If your home could benefit from any of these insulation solutions, but you worry about affording them, then you may be eligible for free heating support. Get in touch with us here at UK Energy Management to check your eligibility.

Share this post:

Fully funded solutions to improve your homes energy efficiency

Find out if you are eligible for 100% FREE energy efficiency upgrades, simply entering your postcode:
Don't worry, many homes do not have a current EPC certificate. Let's find your address from the Royal Mail instead:

Your address does not have a valid EPC certificate

Don't worry, whilst your property doesn't have a current Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) we can still check your eligibility by taking some more details from you. Just click next button to proceed.

Your rating score is:

Due to the EPC rating of your property, your home's rating is unlikely to be improved by the measures we install. We are sorry that we cannot help you further in this instance.
The lower your home's energy efficiency rating, the more money the government make available for you to improve it.
Unfortunately ECO4 funding is not currently available directly to the occupant of Social housing.

Please contact your Local Authority directly for more information on how to improve the Energy Efficiency Performance of your home.

We are sorry we could not help you further